Open PhD position (M/F)
3 years contract - Localisation : Saint Quentin-en-Yvelines
Privacy-Integrated Infrastructure for Constrained IoT devices/networks
Duration 3 Years (Able to start from the beginning of April 2021)
Constrained IoT infrastructure remains too weak to resist attacks. There is a need to assure the security of both the IoT data and the metadata that may disclose the data sources and contexts in the Internet of Things (IoT). The French-German Collaboration project – PIVOT (Privacy-Integrated design and Validation in the constrained IoT) focuses on providing the security and privacy assurance by leveraging existing DNS infrastructure and adding novel intelligent object security. The project will build on RIOT (www.riot-os.org), the leading European OS for IoT to create a privacy eco-system around the software platform for many hardware devices. Work Environment & Benefit Packages The PHD thesis will be in collaboration between Afnic and INSA Lyon/INRIA .
The PhD student will be an Afnic employee for the duration of the thesis while the scientific supervision will be handled by the Privatics team of INSA-Lyon/Inria CITI lab. The PhD student will be primarily based at Afnic (the French Network Information Center) (Afnic.fr) in the Paris region and will have the opportunity to collaborate with the PIVOT project team comprised of academics and Industry based in Germany and France. The student will have the opportunity to conduct research visits to German Institutions. As the PIVOT project focuses on implementing developed standards, there will be opportunities to participate in SDO’s such as the IETF.
Afnic Labs is a small team with diverse R&D knowledge and experience. We are involved in collaborative R&D projects both with Industry and Academia nationally and Internationally, engaged in open Standards development, and our mission is a stable and secure Internet. The Privatics team has expertise in the identification of privacy issues, anonymization techniques, and design of Privacy Enhancing Technologies (PETs). The Privatics team developed the ROBERT Covid exposure notification protocol that is the foundation of the French StopCovid app, as well as the new DESIRE Covid exposure notification protocol.
The benefits package
- Organization of work on 4 days a week.
- Bonus on objectives, Company restaurant…
- Professional Equality Agreement, Teleworking, Time Savings Account, health Insurance, 7 weeks of vacations.
- Located in Saint Quentin-en-Yvelines, 30 minutes from Paris, close to the train station.
Activities The PhD candidate will be tasked with the following objectives
- Developing the state-of-the-art on IoT identifier management and leveraging DNS infrastructure for IoT, Cryptography algorithms for ultra-constrained IoT devices and on IoT specific standards such as COAP/OSCORE, • Programming targeting low-memory and low-power devices, adapting existing algorithms where appropriate, reducing their memory and power requirements without sacrificing security
- Implementing Proof of Concepts, run measurements and conduct a qualitative and quantitative analysis of the measurements Pre-requisites
- Candidate must hold a Master’s degree in any of the following fields : Computer Science, Informatics, Electronics, Mathematics.
- Prior experience in submitting technical articles and or involvement in Standardisation development will be considered a plus
- Programming knowledge in C, Python; knowledge on make build system, data structures, Kconfig and hardware peripheral interfaces would be nice to have Competencies
The PhD candidate is expected to :
- Read and understand technical articles, technical specifications, standardization documents and develop hypothesis concerning PIVOT objectives
- Write conference and journal articles.
- Work with a team
- Proactive and carry out research and development activities autonomously