As the year draws to a close, registrars are preparing for many exciting changes: the opening of .fr and other AFNIC-operated TLDs to Europe, the implementation of the accreditation application process, and the launch of the new dispute resolution system, Syreli. To fully support Registrars in these changes, AFNIC is organising a special information day on 21 November 2011. The day will feature both a theoretical and a practical component.
Designed in particular for the technical and legal departments of registrars, this special information day will provide information and discussion opportunities on:
- the new registrar accreditation process which was launched on 3 November: background of the process, guide, etc.
- the implementation of the new dispute resolution system (Syreli): how it works, new features of the platform, etc.
- the opening of .fr and other AFNIC-operated TLDs to Europe: from 6 December 2011 onwards, the extensions .wf (Wallis and Futuna), .tf (French Southern and Antarctic territories), .re (Reunion Island), .pm (St. Pierre and Miquelon), and .yt (Mayotte) operated by AFNIC will be subject to the same registration rules as the .fr TLD.
- Current projects: IDN, DNSsec, DAS, multi-registries, etc.
The day’s proceedings will be held exclusively in French. For English-speaking representatives we shall be holding a conference call on Tuesday 29 November from 14:00 to 17:00 (GMT + 1) during which we shall address the issues involved in opening various TLDs to Europe and in accreditation.
– 9h15: Opening the .fr TLD to Europe and overseas extensions
– 10h15: Registrar accreditation
– 11h15: Syreli, the new Dispute Resolution System
– 11h45: DNSsec at AFNIC
– 12:30: Lunch at the “Fermette Marbeuf”
– 2:00/2:30: two simultaneous workshops:
- the GTT (Technical workshop)
- Situation report on the services launched in 2011
- Opening the .fr TLD to Europe and overseas extensions
- Coming services
- Round table
- Registrar projects DNSsec, Europe, overseas extensions, DAS, IDN, multi-registries.
- Practical workshop on the accreditation application process and demonstrations of the “My Afnic” web interface
See enrolment instructions
Afnic is the acronym for Association Française pour le Nommage Internet en Coopération, the French Network Information Centre. The registry has been appointed by the French government to manage domain names under the .fr Top Level Domain. Afnic also manages the .re (Reunion Island), .pm (Saint-Pierre and Miquelon), .tf (French Southern and Antarctic Territories), .wf (Wallis and Futuna) and .yt (Mayotte) French Overseas TLDs.
In addition to managing French TLDs, Afnic’s role is part of a wider public interest mission, which is to contribute on a daily basis, thanks to the efforts of its teams and its members, to a secure and stable internet, open to innovation and in which the French internet community plays a leading role. As part of that mission, Afnic, a non-profit organization, has committed to devoting 11% of its Revenues from managing .fr Top Level Domain to actions of general interest, in particular by transferring €1.3 million each year to the Afnic Foundation for Digital Solidarity.
Afnic is also the back-end registry for the companies as well as local and regional authorities that have chosen to have their own TLD, such as .paris, .bzh, .alsace, .corsica, .mma, .ovh, .leclerc and .sncf.
Established in 1997 and based in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, Afnic currently has nearly 90 employees.