Figures from the overall assessment of the .FR in 2016
- The growth of the .FR was higher (+0.9 points) than the average for the 28 ccTLDs of the European Union from 2011 to 2016. It should be noted that this growth was only slightly affected by the waves of domain name registrations by holders located in China in 2015, and has remained relatively stable.
- The market share of the .FR in France in 2016 stood at around 35%. This proportion has been stable since 2011.
- Growth in creations under the .FR in 2016 was higher than forecast (+ 2.2%) or 627,000 new registrations under the .FR over the year.
- The share of foreign holders of .FR domain names is steadily increasing since 2011 and reached 7.5% in 2016. Foreign holders are mainly located in Germany (64,000 .FR), and in the Netherlands and the UK (30,000 .FR).
- The proportion of multi-year registrations under the .FR (possible for up to 10 years since March 2015) reached 7.3% of the .FR at 31/12/2016, with a total of 220,000 domain names involved.
Afnic is the acronym for Association Française pour le Nommage Internet en Coopération, the French Network Information Centre. The registry has been appointed by the French government to manage domain names under the .fr Top Level Domain. Afnic also manages the .re (Reunion Island), .pm (Saint-Pierre and Miquelon), .tf (French Southern and Antarctic Territories), .wf (Wallis and Futuna) and .yt (Mayotte) French Overseas TLDs.
In addition to managing French TLDs, Afnic’s role is part of a wider public interest mission, which is to contribute on a daily basis, thanks to the efforts of its teams and its members, to a secure and stable internet, open to innovation and in which the French internet community plays a leading role. As part of that mission, Afnic, a non-profit organization, donates 90% of its profits to its Foundation for Digital Solidarity. Afnic is also the back-end registry for the companies as well as local and regional authorities that have chosen to have their own TLD, such as .paris, .bzh, .alsace, .corsica, .mma, .ovh, .leclerc and .sncf.
Established in 1997 and based in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, Afnic currently has 80 employees.