1st review of the opening to Europe of the .fr, wf, .re, .yt, .pm, and .tf TLDs
December 6, 2011
Tuesday, 6 Dec. marks the day when the .fr TLD and the other TLDs managed by AFNIC (.wf, .tf, .re, .pm and .yt) are opened to Europe. Details
The .fr as well as other extensions made by AFNIC (.wf for Wallis and Futuna, .tf for the French Southern and Antarctic Territories, .re for Reunion Island, .pm for Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, and .yt for Mayotte) are now open to Europe, in accordance with the French Electronic Communications and Telecommunications Act of 22 March 2011, and after the public consultation held in the summer of 2010.
Things to know:
- From now on, any European company or individual residing within the European Union as well as in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, is entitled to hold any of these extensions.
- The extensions .wf, .tf, .re, .pm and .yt are now subject to the same registration rules as the .fr TLD.
The opening to Europe of these extensions is a major opportunity for promoting the French Overseas Departments and Territories in question, and for asserting their rights to their cyber-identity.
Statistics at 1:30 pm
- 3500 registrations from 70 registrars
- the domain name holders live: 62 % in France (including 9 % on Reunion Island, 13 % in Germany, 6 % in United Kingdom, 3 % in Belgium, 2 % in Italy...
- 50 % of registrations were made under .fr, 18 % under .re, 11 % under .pm, 8 % under .yt, 6 % under .wf, 5 % under .tf
- Top 10 of registrars that participated the most to this opening
- OVH : 29 %
- Gandi : 14%
- Ascio Technologies Inc : 12 %
- InterNext Gmbh : 6 %
- 1API gMBh : 5 %
- Key Systems Gmbh : 4 %
- Indom : 4 %
- Melbourne IT CBS AB : 4 %
- Mesh Digital Limited : 3 %
- Mailclub : 2 %
To register your domain names in .fr, .wf, .yt, .pm, .re, .tf, you must contact a registrar. Consult the registars directory.
AFNIC is the French Registry for the .fr (France), .re (Reunion Island), .yt (Mayotte), .wf (Wallis and Futuna), .tf (French Southern Territories), .pm (Saint-Pierre and Miquelon). AFNIC is also positioned as a provider of technical solutions and services for registries and registrars. AFNIC (the French Network Information Centre) comprises public and private stakeholders, including government authorities, users, and Internet service providers (Registrars). It is a non-profit organisation.
Is this domain