AFNIC is gearing up for the 44th ICANN meeting, to be held in Prague from 24 to 29 June 2012. Our teams will be taking turns to host AFNIC stand number 14 throughout the week. The meeting will provide the registry operator with an opportunity to discuss the wide range of projects related to ccTLDs (IDN launch, accreditation of registrars, etc.) and to review the latest events concerning the new gTLDs, for which a total of 1,930 application packages have been filed worldwide, 54 of them by French companies or local authorities, and 16 promoters of projects have already retained AFNIC solutions…
The 44th ICANN meeting should also be marked by:
- The last attendance of Rod Beckstrom, the current ICANN President and CEO, who will be leaving office in July. The name of his successor will also be announced;
- No doubt extremely keen debate on the prioritizing of the study of gTLD application packages (digital archery);
- The first negotiations between project backers on the same TLDs;
Find out more:
- Organize your meeting with AFNIC teams by writing to email@example.com
- Meet the AFNIC teams at ICANN 44 in Prague on stand number 14
- See the schedule for the 44th ICANN meeting
Afnic is the acronym for Association Française pour le Nommage Internet en Coopération, the French Network Information Centre. The registry has been appointed by the French government to manage domain names under the .fr Top Level Domain. Afnic also manages the .re (Reunion Island), .pm (Saint-Pierre and Miquelon), .tf (French Southern and Antarctic Territories), .wf (Wallis and Futuna) and .yt (Mayotte) French Overseas TLDs.
In addition to managing French TLDs, Afnic’s role is part of a wider public interest mission, which is to contribute on a daily basis, thanks to the efforts of its teams and its members, to a secure and stable internet, open to innovation and in which the French internet community plays a leading role. As part of that mission, Afnic, a non-profit organization, has committed to devoting 11% of its Revenues from managing .fr Top Level Domain to actions of general interest, in particular by transferring €1.3 million each year to the Afnic Foundation for Digital Solidarity.
Afnic is also the back-end registry for the companies as well as local and regional authorities that have chosen to have their own TLD, such as .paris, .bzh, .alsace, .corsica, .mma, .ovh, .leclerc and .sncf.
Established in 1997 and based in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, Afnic currently has nearly 90 employees.