Afnic’s 2015 carbon footprint stood at 680 tonnes equivalent CO2, a decrease of 9% compared with 2012, the year of its 1st report. Afnic is well in line with the commitment it made in 2012 to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 20% over the next 10 years, i.e. by 2022. It was a major commitment given the high growth in its business activities.
The result demonstrates the commitment of Afnic’s management and teams in implementing their ambitious action plan:
- moving in March 2014 to premises compliant with environmental standards
- choosing “green” infrastructure for its data centers,
- reviewing its travel and procurement policies,
- carrying out internal awareness campaigns etc.
In particular, these efforts have helped reduce energy consumption by 34% compared with 2012.
- Employee travel has become the highest item in GHG emissions (37% of its carbon footprint), a slight increase compared with 2012, but one that is under control given the increase in staff (+ 18%).
- GHG emissions per employee have fallen 23% compared with 2012, from 11 to 8.7 tCO2eq. The emissions caused by fixed assets, freight and waste have also decreased, by 21%, 23% and 35% respectively.
- Services increased proportionally with the launch of new business lines, increasing inputs by 27%. This item accounts for 23% of Afnic’s carbon footprint.
For this new edition of its Bilan Carbone©, Afnic renewed its cooperation with the independent firm EcoAct, who carried out the study using the methodological approach developed by the French Environment and Energy Management Agency (ADEME).
Afnic is the acronym for Association Française pour le Nommage Internet en Coopération, the French Network Information Centre. The registry has been appointed by the French government to manage domain names under the .fr Top Level Domain. Afnic also manages the .re (Reunion Island), .pm (Saint-Pierre and Miquelon), .tf (French Southern and Antarctic Territories), .wf (Wallis and Futuna) and .yt (Mayotte) French Overseas TLDs.
In addition to managing French TLDs, Afnic’s role is part of a wider public interest mission, which is to contribute on a daily basis, thanks to the efforts of its teams and its members, to a secure and stable internet, open to innovation and in which the French internet community plays a leading role. As part of that mission, Afnic, a non-profit organization, has committed to devoting 11% of its Revenues from managing .fr Top Level Domain to actions of general interest, in particular by transferring €1.3 million each year to the Afnic Foundation for Digital Solidarity.
Afnic is also the back-end registry for the companies as well as local and regional authorities that have chosen to have their own TLD, such as .paris, .bzh, .alsace, .corsica, .mma, .ovh, .leclerc and .sncf.
Established in 1997 and based in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, Afnic currently has nearly 90 employees.