The purpose of the workshop on “Protecting your name on the Internet” set up by AFNIC is to discuss the legal issues faced by domain name holders and their consultants. Hosted by Isabel Toutaud, AFNIC Legal Affairs Director, Loïc Damilaville, AFNIC Deputy CEO, and Cécile Armetta, Chair of the Communication Committee at the French Institute of Patent & Trademark Attorneys (CNCPI), the workshop is organized around two main themes:
- “Harmonizing the management of trademarks and domain names”, with support for the new issue paper prepared jointly by AFNIC and the CNCPI,
- “Facilitating the resolution of disputes” with:
– a presentation of the different procedures for resolving disputes
– a presentation of the brand new dispute resolution system set up by AFNIC
Who should attend?
– Intellectual property consultants,
– Legal experts,
– Large groups aware of the importance of the issues involved in Managing Trademarks and Domain Names…
Find out more
Register for the workshop “Protecting your name on the Internet”
– 9:00: Welcome coffee
– 9:30: “Harmonizing the management of trademarks and domain names”, by Loïc Damilaville, AFNIC Deputy CEO, and Cécile Armetta, Chair of the Communication Committee at the French Institute of Patent & Trademark Attorneys (CNCPI)
– 10:30: Coffee break
– 10:45: “Facilitating the resolution of disputes” by Isabel Toutaud, AFNIC Legal Affairs Director
– 13:00: Cocktail Lunch
Afnic is the acronym for Association Française pour le Nommage Internet en Coopération, the French Network Information Centre. The registry has been appointed by the French government to manage domain names under the .fr Top Level Domain. Afnic also manages the .re (Reunion Island), .pm (Saint-Pierre and Miquelon), .tf (French Southern and Antarctic Territories), .wf (Wallis and Futuna) and .yt (Mayotte) French Overseas TLDs.
In addition to managing French TLDs, Afnic’s role is part of a wider public interest mission, which is to contribute on a daily basis, thanks to the efforts of its teams and its members, to a secure and stable internet, open to innovation and in which the French internet community plays a leading role. As part of that mission, Afnic, a non-profit organization, donates 90% of its profits to its Foundation for Digital Solidarity. Afnic is also the back-end registry for the companies as well as local and regional authorities that have chosen to have their own TLD, such as .paris, .bzh, .alsace, .corsica, .mma, .ovh, .leclerc and .sncf.
Established in 1997 and based in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, Afnic currently has 80 employees.