Afnic, the association that manages .fr domain names, launched the Afnic Forum for a trustworthy Internet in July, the first series of debates and awareness-raising on tackling online abuse. Following its first round table on the handling of cases of abuse during the COVID-19 crisis, Afnic will be running an online workshop on Thursday 24 September that will look at how to protect domain names against and react in response to abuse.
Cybersquatting, identity theft, fraud, phishing, illegal content, infringement of intellectual property rights, personality, etc. These abuses penalise people, businesses and institutions, sometimes seriously. The Afnic legal team and their guest, Matthieu Aubert, Head of Advisory and Strategy at SafeBrands, will be giving a joint overview of the procedures and actions in place to prevent and deal with abuse.
- Keynote speech, presentation of Afnic and the Forum by Pierre Bonis, CEO of Afnic
- Cybersquating: how to protect your brand?’, Floriane Duel, Legal expert, Syreli rapporteur for Afnic
- ‘Prerequisites for a product launch or name change: pitfalls to avoid’, Matthieu Aubert, Advisory and Strategy Director at SafeBrands
- ‘Public authorities: protecting citizens and defending your name’, Floriane Duel, Legal expert, Syreli Rapporteur for Afnic
- ‘Fast action in the event of identity theft’ and ‘CEO/BEC fraud: effective protection’, Nathalie Boulvard, Legal expert, DPO, Syreli rapporteur for Afnic
- ‘Is it possible to register a domain name with the sole purpose of selling it on?’, Marianne Georgelin, Head of Legal Affairs, Afnic
The other dates from the Afnic Forum for an Internt of Trust
Afnic is the acronym for Association Française pour le Nommage Internet en Coopération, the French Network Information Centre. The registry has been appointed by the French government to manage domain names under the .fr Top Level Domain. Afnic also manages the .re (Reunion Island), .pm (Saint-Pierre and Miquelon), .tf (French Southern and Antarctic Territories), .wf (Wallis and Futuna) and .yt (Mayotte) French Overseas TLDs.
In addition to managing French TLDs, Afnic’s role is part of a wider public interest mission, which is to contribute on a daily basis, thanks to the efforts of its teams and its members, to a secure and stable internet, open to innovation and in which the French internet community plays a leading role. As part of that mission, Afnic, a non-profit organization, has committed to devoting 11% of its Revenues from managing .fr Top Level Domain to actions of general interest, in particular by transferring €1.3 million each year to the Afnic Foundation for Digital Solidarity.
Afnic is also the back-end registry for the companies as well as local and regional authorities that have chosen to have their own TLD, such as .paris, .bzh, .alsace, .corsica, .mma, .ovh, .leclerc and .sncf.
Established in 1997 and based in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, Afnic currently has nearly 90 employees.