The 5 winners of “The French Reconnection” contest received their awards at the gala evening organised to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the .fr TLD
Launched on 2 September 1986, the .fr TLD has just turned 25. Among the many events planned to celebrate the event, AFNIC launched a contest for websites in the .fr namespace on the theme of “The French Reconnection”. The purpose of the contest was to promote the best Internet experience with the .fr namespace. And the candidates, whether professional or private, were allowed to enter in several categories.
The winners received their awards during the gala evening, organised by AFNIC on 11 October on the first floor of the Eiffel Tower to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the .fr TLD. 360 guests attended the event, which was hosted by the journalist and presenter Nicolas Rossignol. The musical entertainment was provided by Fred Manoukian, and the catering by Dalloyau. The highlight of the evening was a much-admired show given by the dancers from the Crazy Horse Saloon.
Of the 100 candidates who entered “The French Reconnection” contest, the following won awards:
- In the Design and Creativity category, Actweb.fr won the award presented by Guy Aubert, the first AFNIC CEO
- In the Browsing and Interaction category, Findyourtracks.fr won the award presented by Guy Aubert, the first AFNIC CEO
- In the Content and Editorial Category, Obsidia.fr won the award presented by Gérard Dantec, CEO of ISOC France
- In the Technology and Innovation Category, Odepart.fr won the award presented by Manuel Diaz, CEO of Emakina France
- And a special jury prize, awarded in partnership with FrenchWeb.fr, was presented by Richard Menneveux to Picturalis.fr
Afnic is the acronym for Association Française pour le Nommage Internet en Coopération, the French Network Information Centre. The registry has been appointed by the French government to manage domain names under the .fr Top Level Domain. Afnic also manages the .re (Reunion Island), .pm (Saint-Pierre and Miquelon), .tf (French Southern and Antarctic Territories), .wf (Wallis and Futuna) and .yt (Mayotte) French Overseas TLDs.
In addition to managing French TLDs, Afnic’s role is part of a wider public interest mission, which is to contribute on a daily basis, thanks to the efforts of its teams and its members, to a secure and stable internet, open to innovation and in which the French internet community plays a leading role. As part of that mission, Afnic, a non-profit organization, donates 90% of its profits to its Foundation for Digital Solidarity. Afnic is also the back-end registry for the companies as well as local and regional authorities that have chosen to have their own TLD, such as .paris, .bzh, .alsace, .corsica, .mma, .ovh, .leclerc and .sncf.
Established in 1997 and based in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, Afnic currently has 80 employees.