The .fr as well as other extensions made by AFNIC (.wf for Wallis and Futuna, .tf for the French Southern and Antarctic Territories, .re for Reunion Island, .pm for Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, and .yt for Mayotte) are now open to Europe, in accordance with the French Electronic Communications and Telecommunications Act of 22 March 2011, and after the public consultation held in the summer of 2010.
Things to know:
- From now on, any European company or individual residing within the European Union as well as in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, is entitled to hold any of these extensions.
- The extensions .wf, .tf, .re, .pm and .yt are now subject to the same registration rules as the .fr TLD.
The opening to Europe of these extensions is a major opportunity for promoting the French Overseas Departments and Territories in question, and for asserting their rights to their cyber-identity.
Statistics at 1:30 pm
- 3500 registrations from 70 registrars
- the domain name holders live: 62 % in France (including 9 % on Reunion Island, 13 % in Germany, 6 % in United Kingdom, 3 % in Belgium, 2 % in Italy…
- 50 % of registrations were made under .fr, 18 % under .re, 11 % under .pm, 8 % under .yt, 6 % under .wf, 5 % under .tf
- Top 10 of registrars that participated the most to this opening
- OVH : 29 %
- Gandi : 14%
- Ascio Technologies Inc : 12 %
- InterNext Gmbh : 6 %
- 1API gMBh : 5 %
- Key Systems Gmbh : 4 %
- Indom : 4 %
- Melbourne IT CBS AB : 4 %
- Mesh Digital Limited : 3 %
- Mailclub : 2 %
To register your domain names in .fr, .wf, .yt, .pm, .re, .tf, you must contact a registrar. Consult the registars directory.
Afnic is the acronym for Association Française pour le Nommage Internet en Coopération, the French Network Information Centre. The registry has been appointed by the French government to manage domain names under the .fr Top Level Domain. Afnic also manages the .re (Reunion Island), .pm (Saint-Pierre and Miquelon), .tf (French Southern and Antarctic Territories), .wf (Wallis and Futuna) and .yt (Mayotte) French Overseas TLDs.
In addition to managing French TLDs, Afnic’s role is part of a wider public interest mission, which is to contribute on a daily basis, thanks to the efforts of its teams and its members, to a secure and stable internet, open to innovation and in which the French internet community plays a leading role. As part of that mission, Afnic, a non-profit organization, donates 90% of its profits to its Foundation for Digital Solidarity. Afnic is also the back-end registry for the companies as well as local and regional authorities that have chosen to have their own TLD, such as .paris, .bzh, .alsace, .corsica, .mma, .ovh, .leclerc and .sncf.
Established in 1997 and based in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, Afnic currently has 80 employees.