The Afnic Industry Report on Domain Names provides the key figures and trends related to the global domain name market in 2013.
The May edition details the renewal rates as well as their causes and reveals that:
- 40% to 50% of the Top Level Domains (TLDs) renew between 81% and 90% of their stock of domain names every year, while an equivalent proportion renews less than 70%;
- Most of the factors influencing the renewal rate are common to all TLDs: use, age of the domain, reputation and price of the TLD;
- The forthcoming emergence of new TLDs will probably change the current relative stability of renewal rates and require all of the market stakeholders to further develop customer acquisition and retention strategies.
To find out more
- Check out the figures and a complete list of decisive factors affecting renewal rates in the May edition of the Afnic Industry Report on Domain Names in France.
- Check out the previous issues of the Domain Name Industry Report.
Afnic is the acronym for Association Française pour le Nommage Internet en Coopération, the French Network Information Centre. The registry has been appointed by the French government to manage domain names under the .fr Top Level Domain. Afnic also manages the .re (Reunion Island), .pm (Saint-Pierre and Miquelon), .tf (French Southern and Antarctic Territories), .wf (Wallis and Futuna) and .yt (Mayotte) French Overseas TLDs.
In addition to managing French TLDs, Afnic’s role is part of a wider public interest mission, which is to contribute on a daily basis, thanks to the efforts of its teams and its members, to a secure and stable internet, open to innovation and in which the French internet community plays a leading role. As part of that mission, Afnic, a non-profit organization, donates 90% of its profits to its Foundation for Digital Solidarity. Afnic is also the back-end registry for the companies as well as local and regional authorities that have chosen to have their own TLD, such as .paris, .bzh, .alsace, .corsica, .mma, .ovh, .leclerc and .sncf.
Established in 1997 and based in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, Afnic currently has 80 employees.