Between 12 January and 12 April 2012, project leaders for new gTLDs (Generic Top Level Domains) are invited to submit their applications with ICANN. The known applications mainly concern cities, regions and cultural communities (such as .paris, .bzh and .aquitaine), while several projects involving trademarks and generic names are also expected.
This new TLD program will allow public and private corporate bodies, trademark holders, public institutions and bodies representing special interest groups to register and managed their own TLDs on the Internet.
As a provider of technical solutions and registry operator services, AFNIC welcomes the launch, which has been eagerly awaited since it was announced in Paris in 2008.
AFNIC has been chosen by a number of project leaders to operate their future TLDs. Drawing on its experience, AFNIC has set up dedicated offers that precisely address the needs of the many new TLD project leaders given their flexibility, competitiveness and operational requirements that exceed the ICANN prerequisites.
The things to remember:
- Submission period from 12 January 2012 to 12 April 2012 ;
- Deadline for registration in the TLD Application System: 29 March 2012 ;
- Publication of the list of declared applicants: 1 May 2012 (date given by ICANN) ;
- Publication of the findings of the initial assessments: end 2012 ;
- Operational launch of the first new gTLDs in 2013.
Find out more:
Dedicated website on new gTLDs: http://newgtlds.icann.org
AFNIC’s offer of technical solutions and registry operator services