Afnic is responsible for the accreditation of registrars wishing to offer Afnic-managed TLDs in their catalogues. This page explains the accreditation procedure and the documents required.
Clear accreditation criteria
Pursuant to the provisions of the French Post and Electronic Communications Code, registrars must meet the following six requirements in order to obtain accreditation:
- Understand the principles and operating procedures of the internet domain name system;
- Understand the equipment and technical rules needed to register domain names with the Registry;
- Have a proven verification procedure for identification data provided by domain name applicants so as to respond to any requests from the Registry;
- Have the necessary human and technical resources to handle updating of administrative and technical data provided by domain name applicants for their identification;
- Have the necessary equipment and software applications to ensure the security of personal data provided by domain name applicants and store these in compliance with the provisions of the French Data Protection Act No. 78-17 of 6 January 1978 as amended;
- Provide adequate reception facilities for the public.
Documents available for accredited registrars:
Afnic’s accreditation procedure
In order to be able to act as registrar for the TLDs managed by Afnic, it is necessary to provide:
- the accreditation application package completed and signed;
- the identification form completed and signed, together with the following:
- official documents
- payment of the flat fee depending to the option selected
- the registrar directory registration form
… and send them by email to email@example.com or by post to the following address:
Afnic – Service Client AC / AC
Immeuble Le Stephenson – 1 rue Stephenson
78180 Montigny le Bretonneux FRANCE
Once accreditation is obtained, registrars exercise their activities under the control of Afnic through a registration contract, which sets out the conditions of access to Afnic’s services as well as to those of the registrar.View the 2024 registration contract
Accreditation is automatically renewed for on a year-to-year basis, effective as of 1 January and expiring on 31 December each year.
The registration contract is automatically terminated if the registrar loses its accreditation.
Non-renewal or termination of the registration contract results in the automatic withdrawal of accreditation.
Accreditation: useful documents
The documents useful for the accreditation procedure are listed below:
The obligation to respect personal data
The registration business involves collecting identification data provided by domain name applicants, which is used to constitute the State’s database (Whois).
This collection must be carried out in all circumstances, even if the data is collected professionally, free of charge or for the needs of the registrar. The registrar is responsible for the processing of personal data and as such must ensure protection, under the terms and conditions defined by Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 applicable from 25 May 2018 (the “General Data Protection Regulation” or “GDPR”).
If the European Commission does not recognise the registrar’s country of residence as offering an adequate level of protection of personal data (which can be checked on the website of the CNIL, the French Data Protection Authority), Afnic will implement Appendix 3 “Appropriate safeguards for transfers outside EU” when accrediting the registrar in order to ensure an adequate level of protection of personal data as required by the GDPR.
In any case, it is up to the registrar to take the necessary steps to protect personal data, both at the time of applying for accreditation and throughout the period of accreditation.
Here are the obligations to be aware of:
Do I have to be a member of Afnic to obtain accreditation?
Registering domain names under one of the TLDs operated by Afnic is not subject to membership of the Association.
That said, there is nothing to prevent your becoming a member of the Association. The ‘Registrar Members’ category is open (but neither compulsory nor automatic) to registrars under contract with Afnic, regardless of the flat fee option chosen.
As a member, you will be able to participate in Registrars Consultative Committees, elect representatives to the Board of Trustees and participate in Afnic working groups.Find out more about becoming a member of Afnic