The consolidation of the French legal framework for domain names, the growth of the .fr TLD, and a major advancement for Afnic, which became a multi-registry operator in 2013, thus diversifying its business at the service of the French Internet community.
Highlights of this latest report include:
- In June 2013, Afnic renewed its Board of Directors and welcomed its new Chairman, Mr. Emmanuel Sartorius.
- The State Council ruled on the former legal framework for domain names in France and voided it on the grounds that it had not been notified beforehand to the European Commission. This important decision ends litigation that has been going on for nearly four years. It also confirms that Afnic is entrusted with a public service remit as the Registry for the .fr TLD.
- As part of the process of creation of new gTLDs, in 2013 Afnic continued to support the initiators of 17 projects, which all passed the initial stage of approval by Icann during the year.
- Afnic Research & Development continued work on the Internet of Things, with Afnic becoming – along with GS1 – the main contributor to the ONS 2.0 standard. The work carried out by the R&D team was rewarded at the European level by the Centr (Council of European National Top Level Domain Registries) in October 2013.
Key figures in 2013
- A turnover of 13.7 million euros;
- 2.7 million domain names and an annual growth of 8.2% for the .fr TLD;
- 6 TLDs managed and 17 nTLD clients.
Download the Report
- Read the Afnic 2013 annual report (in French only – Translation available soon).
For further information
- Archives of activity reports.
Afnic is the acronym for Association Française pour le Nommage Internet en Coopération, the French Network Information Centre. The registry has been appointed by the French government to manage domain names under the .fr Top Level Domain. Afnic also manages the .re (Reunion Island), .pm (Saint-Pierre and Miquelon), .tf (French Southern and Antarctic Territories), .wf (Wallis and Futuna) and .yt (Mayotte) French Overseas TLDs.
In addition to managing French TLDs, Afnic’s role is part of a wider public interest mission, which is to contribute on a daily basis, thanks to the efforts of its teams and its members, to a secure and stable internet, open to innovation and in which the French internet community plays a leading role. As part of that mission, Afnic, a non-profit organization, has committed to devoting 11% of its Revenues from managing .fr Top Level Domain to actions of general interest, in particular by transferring €1.3 million each year to the Afnic Foundation for Digital Solidarity.
Afnic is also the back-end registry for the companies as well as local and regional authorities that have chosen to have their own TLD, such as .paris, .bzh, .alsace, .corsica, .mma, .ovh, .leclerc and .sncf.
Established in 1997 and based in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, Afnic currently has nearly 90 employees.