The .fr in fine form in 2016
March 16, 2017
The latest Afnic Industry Report on Domain Names in France provides an overview of the development of the .fr between 2011 and 2016 and sheds light on key indicators for the sector
Figures from the overall assessment of the .FR in 2016
- The growth of the .FR was higher (+0.9 points) than the average for the 28 ccTLDs of the European Union from 2011 to 2016. It should be noted that this growth was only slightly affected by the waves of domain name registrations by holders located in China in 2015, and has remained relatively stable.
- The market share of the .FR in France in 2016 stood at around 35%. This proportion has been stable since 2011.
- Growth in creations under the .FR in 2016 was higher than forecast (+ 2.2%) or 627,000 new registrations under the .FR over the year.
- The share of foreign holders of .FR domain names is steadily increasing since 2011 and reached 7.5% in 2016. Foreign holders are mainly located in Germany (64,000 .FR), and in the Netherlands and the UK (30,000 .FR).
- The proportion of multi-year registrations under the .FR (possible for up to 10 years since March 2015) reached 7.3% of the .FR at 31/12/2016, with a total of 220,000 domain names involved.
Afnic (the French acronym for "Association Française pour le Nommage Internet en Coopération" i.e. the French Network Information Centre), is a non-profit association created in 1997. Appointed by the French State to manage domain names under the .fr Top Level Domain (TLD) it promotes use of .fr by entrepreneurs and individuals. As the historic manager with more than 3 million domain names in .fr to date, it is also positioned as a provider of technical solutions and registry services: it currently manages 14 projects for new gTLDs, including .paris and .bzh. Afnic is located in Saint-Quentin en Yvelines, where its staff of 80 works for the common good of the French Internet.
Is this domain